Good morning friends!
I have to say, this post is bound to make your stomach growl first thing in the morning so I apologize in advance for that 😉 The holidays bring about so much joy and even though this year is going to look very different, I am still excited to make a few household favorites and also take a break from cooking much of the big stuff.
One thing I am definitely tackling for both, Thanksgiving and Christmas is dessert! It’s not usually my strong suit since I don’t bake a lot, but I’ve found a few recipes that are easy enough for anyone (including me) to make.
The one I’m most excited about is my family’s ice cream cake. Growing up, it was our birthday dessert of choice. To this day, my brother (who just turned 40) still has an ice cream cake every year. I had been so intimidated to try one before but this layered cake is pretty simple to prepare and just takes a bit of time upfront.
The real secret weapon here is the brownie base and Hudsonville Ice Cream! It tastes heavenly paired together and you cannot go wrong with any of their flavor combinations. As you all know by now, Hudsonville is our go-to ice cream. We discovered the brand while living in Chicago and have stayed loyal. If you are local to Louisville, you can find it at Meijer, and depending on your city, there are other stores where you can find Hudsonville! Check out their Scoop Locator (or their online shop if there are no stores nearby).
For this version, I let Zain pick out the flavor combos and he chose their Classic Chocolate and Mackinac Island Fudge! There are 5 layers to the cake and each is pretty simple and straight forward to assemble:
- Brownie Base: you will bake this a day prior and let cool in the fridge
- First Ice Cream flavor
- Second Ice Cream flavor
- Fudge: homemade or store bought!
- Whip Cream & Sprinkles or a topping of your choice!
You want to make sure to allow the ice cream to warm up a bit before assembling. So, go ahead and let the ice cream sit on the counter for 10 minutes to soften and then spoon it into a bowl. Mix till you get a smooth consistency and then do the same with the fudge! After each flavor of ice cream is layered, place back in freezer for at least 30 minutes to harden. Once you are done assembling, place in freezer overnight before serving!
1 Box Brownie Mix, flavor of your choice but I use Dark Chocolate
2 48 oz cartons of Hudsonville Ice Cream, flavors of your choice
1 1/2 Cups Fudge
1 Tub Whipped Cream
Sprinkles to top
- Prepare Brownie Crust: Cook brownies as instructions call for. Keep in fridge overnight after cooling.
- Warm first ice cream flavor in a bowl and stir until you have a smooth consistency. Layer on top of brownie and freeze for 30 minutes.
- During that time, place the 2nd ice cream flavor into a bowl and stir until smooth. Spread on top of the first layer of ice cream. Freeze for 30 minutes.
- I then warm my fudge and try to spread it on top of the ice cream, this step can start to mix and that’s okay! Freeze again for 30 minutes.
- Spread Whipped Cream on top of hot fudge and then top with your desired topping! Cover with aluminum foil and freeze overnight.
Enjoy the next day and store any leftover back in the freezer for another time! I promise this will be a hit during your holidays and let me know if you try it. You can grab a Hudsonville coupon and check out some other delicious ice cream recipes here!
This post is sponsored by Hudsonville Ice Cream. A brand we know, love and have valued as a long term partner. Thank you for supporting brands that make Lows to Luxe possible!